Friday, May 6, 2011

Quinoa Tabouli Salad with Chickpeas

One of my favorite summer salads. I used to use bulgher until wheat became an allergy issue in this house. Now I use quinoa and love it. This recipe comes from The New Moosewood Cookbook. I found the recipe on-line on the food.com website . However, what you see below is how I've adapted it over the years. Depending on what is in season, I'll add the tomatoes or if I have kalamati olives, I'll add them. I usually add chickpeas for the protein.

  • 1 1/2 cups quinoa
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • pepper
  • 3 scallions, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley, packed
  • 8- 10 mint leaves, minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced or 4 roma tomatoes,diced
  • 1/2 cucumber,  minced

  1. Cook the quinoa in the water for about 15 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.Fluff up the quinoa.
  2. Emulsify the lemon juice and oil. Then mix in the salt, garlic, pepper, and scallions.
  3. Chill for 30 minutes.
  4. Before serving, add the rest of the ingredients.
 
 **Delicious, as always.



**Made a different time, with black olives, tomatoes, and carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment