Monday, January 17, 2011

Baked Polenta with Tomato Sauce

I have several polenta recipes, I will try this one this week (from another blog called Accidental Hedonist.) However, I will not be making the tomato sauce that is included on the web link. I made up a huge batch of tomato sauce at the end of the summer and froze it. I will use it. Let me know if you want that recipe. Here is the polenta recipe:

Serves 4
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/4 cups corn meal polenta
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • Tomato Sauce (or you could use a jar of pasta sauce if you are in a hurry)
  • Cheese- parmesan, asiago, gruyere - your choice
In a medium to large sauce pan, bring the 4 cups of water to a boil. Stir in the salt, then add the polenta in a slow, steady stream, whisking in all the while. Cook, stirring all the time, for approx 5 minutes. Add the cayenne pepper and the salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the baking dish and smooth the surface. Place in the refrigerator to cool while you work on the sauce.

Turn out the cold polenta on a cutting board and cut into 2 inch squares. Place in a baking dish and cover with the sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Place in oven for 25 minutes or until golden, which ever comes first.
**This was delicious! Very easy for me to make since I had already made the marinara from my summer tomatoes. I used 4 cups of the marinara. I used pepper jack, mozzarella, and a bit of parmesan for cheese. It was well paired with the garlicky kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment