Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Swiss chard and potato soup

This looked like an easy recipe- one I have been carrying with me for several years, but have never tried it. Tonight is the night! I have amended the recipe below as I made it. The original recipe is on the NY Times site.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 pound slab bacon, diced (I used country ham, but next time I'd use bacon)
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick 
  • 3 C vegetable stock
  • Salt
  • 6 eggs, optional
  • 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can, drained
  • 5 cups, packed, very finely shredded Swiss chard leaves (about 1 bunch)
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

1. Start chickpeas in the pressure cooker. Presoak for one minute. Change water, then cook for 21 minutes. Quick release using cold water on the lid. Drain and set aside.
2. Place bacon in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Sauté until lightly browned. Drain, leaving 2 tablespoons fat in pan.
3.Add onion and garlic to oil in pan and sauté over low heat until soft and barely golden. Add potatoes and 3 cups water and 3 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
4.Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to a large mixing bowl, and roughly mash them with a fork or a potato masher. Return potatoes to liquid in pot, and stir to dissolve them.
5.Add chickpeas, and chard leaves. Bring to a simmer, and cook about 2-5 minutes, until leaves wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to warm soup plates. If using the eggs, fry or poach them and add one to each bowl. 
 ** I liked the soup more than my family did. You can see my broth is a bit red due to the type of chard I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment