Saturday, April 9, 2011

Swedish Meatballs/Kottbullar

Once I had decided on the potato salad with herring that seems pretty Scandinavian to me, I thought some Swedish meatballs might be a good accompaniment. I found this recipe on a Swedish site. I am not a big meatball fan, so we'll so how they go over! I have some lingonberry jam that I'll serve with them.

4–6 servings
500 g (18 oz) ground (minced) beef/pork mixture
250 ml (1¼ cup) milk
75 g (¾ cup) white breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 onion
salt, white pepper
ground allspice
Preparation
Finely dice the onion and sauté gently in a little butter without browning. Soak the breadcrumbs in milk. Blend the ground meat, preferably in a food processor, with the onion, egg, milk/breadcrumb mixture and the spices to the proper consistency and taste. Add a little water if the mixture feels too firm. Check the taste by test-frying one meatball. Then shape small meatballs with the aid of two spoons and place on water-rinsed plates. Brown a generous pat of butter in a frying pan, and when it “goes quiet” place the meatballs in the pan and let them brown on all sides. Shake the frying pan often. Serve with potato purée or boiled potatoes and raw stirred lingonberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment