Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Kielbasa simmered in beer with onions and cabbage

I used to make this dish without the cabbage when I first got a Martha Stewart cookbook. I couldn't find her recipe online attributed to her, but I found this one from cooks.com that is identical. I have amended the recipe below to how I cooked it.


2 T butter
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cabbage, sliced
2 Kielbasas
2 (12 oz.) bottles beer (I used Rio Grande with green chile)


1. In a large heavy skillet melt the butter and saute the onion over medium heat until translucent.
2. Add the Kielbasa to the pan and brown it 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
3. Add the cabbage on top. 
4. Pour the beer over the top. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the cabbage is how you like it.
**Cooking it this way in beer makes the dish a bit sweet. Nice for a change although my daughter said the dish tasted 'beer-y'. hmm.

2 comments:

  1. We liked it although I cooked it a little too long. Next time I will use only one beer, not because it affected the taste but because it made a bit too much broth. I love how easy it was to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    One thing that I didn't do that is in the original recipe is to remove everything and cook the beer down. Maybe that would have helped you. I ended up not using the broth so it makes sense that next time I only use one beer, too!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete