Thursday, December 22, 2011

Red curry salmon chowder

I picked up this month's Living Naturally at Vitamin Cottage and saw this recipe. Sounded great although I had to go to Talin to pick up my red curry paste! I have already amended the recipe to how I will make it next time- more veggies and less fish.


1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 small red onion (thinly sliced) 
3 cups mushrooms (sliced)
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
14 ounces (1 can) light coconut milk
1 cups low-sodium vegetable
2 teaspoons low-sodium fish sauce
2 teaspoons honey
3/4 pound skinless salmon fillet (cut into large chunks)
3-4 small heads bok choy (thinly sliced crosswise)
1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves (thinly sliced crosswise)- Served with this
1/2 cup cilantro leaves and thin, tender stems- Served with this
2 large limes (cut into wedges)
 Heat coconut oil in a medium-large saucepan; cook onion and mushrooms for 3–5 minutes, until just softened. Stir in curry paste, ginger, garlic, and Fresno pepper(if using); cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, and honey; bring to a boil and add salmon and bok choy. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 3–6 minutes (depending on salmon thickness), until bok choy is tender. Divide among four bowls, sprinkle with basil and cilantro, and serve with lime wedges on the side. 
 **Delicious and pretty fast to make. Next time, I will add more mushrooms and bok choy and less salmon. (I've already amended the recipe above- so I won't forget!) This is best way I've ever made bok choy! We all laughed when we ate it- because none of us could remember having salmon in soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment