Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunflower Seed Casserole

I have been meaning to try this recipe for some time, you can find it on Cooks Recipes. I am looking for a loaf that will taste nice as leftovers in a sandwich.
2 cups sunflower seeds
2 cups cashews
3/4 cup water
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
5 cups cooked brown rice
2-1/2 teaspoon vegetarian broth powder
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt to taste
  1. Finely grind the sunflower seeds in a food processor. Place them in a large bowl.
  2. Blend together cashews and water in the food processor until smooth.
  3. Combine all ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Place in a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 325°F (160°C), covered, for 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking an additional 45 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

* I'll be putting this into a loaf pan.  
Going into the oven..

**Great loaf-not dry at all. I doubled the garlic powder. I didn't have the cashews, so I used 2/3 C soaked Brazil nuts and 1 1/3 C soaked almonds. I ended up putting it back in the oven because the middle was still mushy (the end was ok). It seemed like it needed a bit more salt, but since I steamed the broccoli with celtic sea salt, it seemed to balance it out. Next time, I'll add some herbs into the mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment