Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Potato Leek Soup with Dill

I have a very simple potato leek soup that I normally make. However, with the dill in the garden still growing and a package of smoked bacon that I picked up in Nashville, I decided to try this recipe from the Nourished Kitchen. I have amended the recipe below.

  • 4 ounces pasture-raised bacon, fried and crumbled with fat reserved
  • 4 leeks, rinsed well with white and light green parts sliced very thinly
  • 1 pound waxy potatoes, scrubbed well and cubed
  • 1 quart fresh chicken broth
  • 2 bay leaves, preferably fresh though dried will do
  • 2 cups fresh whole milk 
  • 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped fine
  • unrefined sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
  • crème fraîche or sour cream, to serve
Instructions
  1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat reserved bacon fat over a medium flame until melted and sizzling. Add the thinly sliced leeks to the melted bacon fat (depending on how fatty your bacon is- you might need to pour some off) and fry until they begin to soften and release their aroma – about five to six minutes or so. Add one quart fresh chicken broth to the leeks and dump in the cubed potatoes and cover the pot. Cook the potatoes, leeks and broth together over a medium-low flame until the potatoes are softened and tenderly fall apart when pressed with the tines of a fork – about thirty minutes. If you like your soup lumpy, then leave as is. Otherwise you can blend/mash it up now)
  2. Remove the soup from the flame and allow it to cool slightly, then pour two cups fresh whole milk into the soup pot, stirring in the fresh dill as you go. Season with unrefined sea salt and white pepper as it suits you, then serve the soup with plenty of good quality pasture-raised bacon and a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream.

** This was a nice soup. I didn't put the sour cream on top. I also used 2% rather than whole milk. The addition of the dill was not great for me. I think I'll stick to my other recipe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment