Thursday, July 14, 2011

Eggplant in date sauce

My Japanese eggplants are ready to harvest! We'll be getting eggplant soon from the CSA. This dish comes from the World Food Cafe cookbook. This is a recipe that I have not tried.

Eggplant in Date Sauce

Serves 4-6

4 tablespoons oil
3 red onions, thinly sliced
1 small globe eggplant (1 pound), cubed
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable stock
3/4 cup dates, pitted
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon rose water
Water as needed
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until they are soft. Add the eggplant and sprinkle it with a little salt to prevent it from absorbing all the oil and drying out. Sauté, stirring constantly, until the eggplant is browned. Add the spices and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock and simmer slowly for about 10 minutes. In a food processor, purée the dates with the lemon juice and rose water, adding enough water to make a creamy paste. Add this paste to the eggplant, stir in, and serve.
**OK- I'm not sure how they serve this in Oman- but I don't think it looks particularly appetizing. However, it was good- a bit mushy and a bit sweet. It didn't turn my husband into an eggplant lover, however. I'm not sure I'd cook it again. Oh- I didn't use the rose water.

No comments:

Post a Comment