Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chile Corn Chowder

This recipe caught my eye because of the corn, since I have a few ears left after my visit to the Nob Hill farmer's market. I also decided to change out the chiles and use our newly roasted green chiles. It is from Harry's Roadhouse Cookbook. This cookbook is fantastic- I'd recommend it for anyone's shelves. And if you find yourself in Santa Fe, please visit the restaurant! I have adapted the recipe a bit to match up my ingredients.

3 tomatoes
1 onion, diced
2 green chiles diced
3 T butter
5 cups corn, divided
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 qt milk
little grated cheese

In a dry cast-iron skillet, roast tomatoes until charred on the outside and soft inside. Add tomatoes, 3 cups of corn, salt, pepper, and milk. Bring to scalding point (when bubbles form around the edge of the pot and the milk starts to foam). Do not boil. Remove from heat and let cool a bit. Puree in a blender. Return to heat and add remaining corn. Bring to a simmer and taste for salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chile strips (optional) and sprinkle with cheese.

**I'm not much of a soup eater- but I have to say this was fantastic and so easy to make! It was a big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment