Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chelo Kebab Koobideh

This is an Iranian dish that I love. I lived in Tehran for a couple of years as a child. Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.squidoo.com/persiankebab

The last time I made this dish, I used a recipe from another web site. But, I can't remember where I found it...

1 lb ground beef or lamb (I'm using lamb)
1 large white onion, grated (I'm squeezing out the juice before I add it)
1 pinch saffron in 1T boiling water
1 T turmeric (the other recipe used 1 t sumac- you can buy this at Talin Market)
1 egg yolk
1 garlic clove, crushed

Add salt, and mix all the ingredients together and refrigerate overnight*. Spread the meat on to skerwers and push it on well so it doesn't fall off. Cook over hot coals.

*I didn't refrigerate it overnight- just a couple of hours.

I will use the lamb that I just bought from Los Poblanos. During the holidays I visited the warehouse and met the wonderful Amy!

This is served with basmati rice- I soaked mine in very salty water all day. When it is time to cook it, I boil it till it is al dente. I then put it in a steamer, mound it, put some chunks of butter on the top of it, and steam it till it is ready. I used to put a towel around the lid to ensure the rice kernels separate, but I've found our climate is so dry, you don't need to do that.

If you really want a treat, head over to The Saffron Cafe (Lead and Cornell in Albuquerque) and get this same dish. It is delicious!



** Don't waste your lamb on this recipe. It stayed nicely on the skewers, but the flavor just wasn't all that great for our family. Since I have quite a few kebabs leftover I will turn them into lamb pasties for Thursday's dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment