Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chili con Pesce

I found this fish cook book in Australia. It is called 50 Ways with Fish by Katherine Blakemore. You can order it on-line and I also saw a site that you can supposedly download it. It has many great easy recipes for fish. My last comments on this particular recipe were "great- fast and easy."

Serves 4

1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 T oil
1/4- 1/2 t chili powder, or hot chili sauce
2 t cumin
2 t oregano
14 oz can chopped tomatoes
3/4 C beer (lager)
salt and pepper
1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless white fish, cut into cubes
1 T chopped fresh cilantro

In a large pan, cook onion and bell pepper in oil until soft Add chili powder, cumin and oregano, cook for 1 minute, add tomatoes and juice from can, beer, salt and pepper.
Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionaly until sauce is a thich consistency. Add the fish to pan, cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until fish is cooked through. Stir in chopped cilantro.
Transfer to a warm serving dish and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with rice, refried beans and corn chips.
Prep- 15 minutes
Cook- 30-35 minutes

**I will sub green chili for the bell pepper, use chipotle chili powder, use Rio Grande Green Chili Cerveza for the lager, my frozen tomatoes instead of canned, and ono fish. I'm not sure that I'll serve it with rice, beans, and chips. If I have time to get some fresh corn tortillas, I'll probably serve it with them.
 **Great! I got some fresh corn tortillas and had them with the stew. Mine was nice and spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment