Sunday, January 23, 2011

Okra Gumbo Soup

I'll be using the okra and tomatoes that I froze from last summer's harvest.  When I made this last, I wrote that it is "nice and would be good with all sorts of veggies". I'll see what I've got left in the fridge. You can find this recipe on page 616 in  Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant.

1 C chopped onions
2 T oil
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried basil
2 bay leaves
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
1 C chopped potatoes
3 C vegetable stock

2 C chopped fresh tomatoes (or 16 oz can of tomatoes, chopped, with juice)

1 C corn, fresh, frozen or canned (with liquid)
1 C sliced fresh okra (or 10 oz frozen)
1 T cider vinegar

salt and pepper
Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste
1 t Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Saute onions in oil till translucent. Add the herbs, celery, bell pepper, carrot, and potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring to prevent sticking. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn, okra, and vinegar and simmer until the okra is tender. Remove the bay leaves. Add the remaining seasonings to taste.
 Wonderful! So easy, too! I froze my tomatoes whole. It was so easy to cut them up while they were still a bit frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment