Sunday, February 13, 2011

Adobo Pork Tostadas

I picked up this slow cooker cookbook, Better Homes and Garden Ultimate Slow Cooker,  when I was waiting for my husband at Lowes. Almost everything I have tried has been good. This recipe is designed for two different dishes. The first being the tostadas and the second being a Tamale Casserole. My comment on it was "Good, not spicy".

Prep 30 minutes
Cook 10-12 hours (low) or 5-6 hours (high)

1 3-31/2 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 C chicken broth
2 T finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
6 cloves garlic, minced (1T)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t coriander
1/4 t black pepper
OPT:
1 C refried beans
1 C chopped tomato
1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
1 C queso fresco
1/2 C sour cream

Trim fat from pork; cut pork into chunks. Place pork in a 4-5 qt slow cooker. In a medium bowl, stir together the rest of the ingredients. Pour over pork in cooker. Cover and cook as above.
Remove pork from cooker when finished and shred the pork. Reserve half of the pork and 2 C of the sauce for the Tamale casserole (store in separate containers). Mix the remaining pork with 1/2 C of the sauce.
Make tostadas or tacos as you like.

**Very nice. Tender. I used an internet photo from chowhound- I ate my tacos too fast. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment