Thursday, February 3, 2011

Aloo Gobi

There are many recipes for aloo gobi. I think I must have gotten this one from one of Roz Denny's vegetarian cookbooks. I am still on the search for the best one...

Serves 4

1 lb potatoes, cut into 1 in chunks
2 T oil
1 t cumin seeds*
1 green chili, finely chopped*
1 lb cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 t coriander
1 t cumin
1/4 t chili powder
1/4 t turmeric
1/2 t salt
chopped fresh coriander, to garnish

Parboil the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the cumin seeds for 2 minutes until they begin to sputter. Add the chili and fry for a further minute.
Add the cauliflower florets and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and the ground spices and salt and cook for a further 7-10 minutes or until both the vegetables are tender. Garnish with fresh coriander.

* Get cumin seeds from the Talin Market. I'll probably use NM green chiles instead of Thai chilis. I imagine that I will add some additional liquid in the bottom of the wok and try to steam the cauliflower rather than dry fry it.
**You can see I used the purple potatoes that I had left. The cauliflower didn't get the same charred effect since I didn't dry fry it. I thought this recipe was OK, but not flavorful enough to make a second time. The rice was great, though. We all ended up putting a variety of sauces on the top- Linzano Salsa from Costa Rica, A1 steak sauce, Sriracha hot sauce, and (gasp) ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment