2/3 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil - divided use
1 cup quinoa
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped oven-dried tomatoes (or sun dried)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 to 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 (4-ounce) cans whole green chilies
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large (4 to 5-quart) saucepan over medium heat; add pine nuts and stir until lightly toasted. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil into same pan and add the quinoa. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until quinoa gives off a toasted aroma, about 3 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pine nuts, green onions and cilantro. Season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and let stand.
4. Drain chilies and split in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Arrange half the chilies in a 2-quart casserole (12 x 8 x 2-inch). Spread quinoa mixture evenly over chilies. Top with remaining chilies and sprinkle with the cheese.
5. Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 minutes or until hot and cheese has melted.