Sunday, February 6, 2011

Date and Apple Cake with Coconut topping

I found this recipe in New Zealand. I haven't the slightest idea where it came from. It was transcribed on the back of a scrap sheet from the local library.

1 C dates, chopped
1/2 C boiling water
1/2 C oil
2 t vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 C sugar
2 apples, peeled and grated

Preheat the oven to 350.

Put dates into boiling water and soak till cool.
Mix oil, vanilla and eggs together. Add and mix in the flour baking powder and soda. The add the sugar. Next comes the apples with the dates.
Bake for 40 minutes.

Coconut Topping
1 C coconut
1/4 C sugar
1 egg

Mix and dot on top of cake. Cook an additional 10 minutes.

**I didn't make the topping. I cut the sugar to 3/4 Cup. I might substitute apple sauce for the oil next time. It was very easy to prepare. I was ready before the oven was preheated. It is a nice moist cake. Should be great for lunches this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment