Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bahamas Chicken

This recipe comes from a book called, Glorious One-Pot Meals by Elizabeth Yarnell. I used to cook from it a lot. She has a method of infusion cooking by layering the food into a dutch oven and then simply cooking it for 45 minutes (no peeking). I used to layer the ingredients frozen, then set the oven timer so it was ready when we walked in the door. You can buy the book from Amazon or on her site. She has a section on recipes, but it isn't interactive. This is a new recipe for me to try.

Serves 2*

1/2 t cumin seeds
2-4 pieces chicken
salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 med potato, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 red or orange bell pepper, 1" wedges
1/2 small yellow summer squash, 1" chunks
1/2 C broccoli florets
3 T vinegar, rice or wine
3 T orange juice
1/2 t oregano, dried
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t ground allspice
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 450. Spray inside of a 2 quart Dutch oven and lid with oil.
Sprinkle cumin seeds in base of pot. Rinse chicken and place in pot. Lightly salt and pepper. Sprinkle with garlic. Add potatoes on top of chicken. Layer in bell peppers, squash and broccoli.
In a bowl, mix vinegar, orange juice, oregano, paprika, allspice black pepper and red pepper. Pour over top.
Cover and bake in oven for 45 minutes, or until aroma wafts from the oven.

*This will serve us all according to the amount of chicken I put in. I will increase the amount of potatoes. I will substitute carrots for the bell pepper and squash. I might add the rest of the chard I have left and put it in before the marinade. I won't add the broccoli since I am steaming more of it on the side.
 **Delicious and easy to prepare. The carrots and potatoes were cooked to perfection and the chicken was tender. I didn't put the chard on top after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment