Serves 2-4 depending on how much pasta you eat.
- 1 pound small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons for tossing
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino romano, more for serving
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs*
- 1/2 pound penne
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line bottom of casserole dish with cherry tomatoes in a single layer, halved side up. Pour oil on top, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese and bread crumbs on top. Bake until tomatoes have wilted, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with enough sea salt so that water tastes mildly of salt. When tomatoes are just about done, add penne to water and cook until al dente (it should be pliable, but still firm in center). Scoop out about a cup of pasta water and reserve. Drain pasta and add to casserole. Place over medium heat and fold tomatoes and pasta together, adding another 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning. If it is dry, add a little reserved pasta water. Serve, passing more grated cheese at the table.
- * I didn't use the breadcrumbs.