Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins

As we used to live on an organic blueberry farm, I have lots of blueberry recipes I've tried over the years. During the snow days a few weeks ago, I made these muffins. One got taken to my husband's office to a friend who proclaimed they were the "best blueberry muffins" he'd ever tried. Not sweet, just delicious. He asked me to post the recipe on the blog- so here it is. This comes from a cookbook called, Maritime Flavours: Blueberries by Elaine Elliot and Virginia Lee. I couldn't find the recipe online.

1 C low-fat buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 C vegetable oil
2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C sugar
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 C wild blueberries

Preheat oven to 400.

Whisk together buttermilk, egg and oil. Mix flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl; stir in the buttermilk mixture until just blended. Carefully fold in blueberries and pour into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Doubled, this makes 10 jumbo muffins. Tripled, this makes 12 jumbo muffins and 24 mini- muffins. All with tops that spill over.

* I use safflower oil and half white and half wholemeal spelt flour. I have used both frozen and fresh berries. Either work. If you use frozen, put them into the flour mixture before adding the liquid in order to keep the mixture from turning blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment