- 4 cups shredded green cabbage (from head cabbage)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- 4 striped bass fillets (or other firm-fleshed fish, such as tuna, tilapia, or salmon), 4 to 6 ounces each
- 8 thick slices sandwich bread, such as brioche or country-style white
- In a bowl, toss cabbage with 2 teaspoons salt; let stand 20 minutes. Press between layers of paper towels to remove excess liquid. Toss cabbage in a clean bowl with celery, onion, mayonnaise, vinegar, and caraway seed and season with pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grates. Pat fish dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper and brush with oil. Grill fish on one side until opaque at edges, 2 to 4 minutes. Using a thin spatula, flip fish and cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Clean and lightly oil hot grates; grill bread until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 seconds per side. Assemble sandwiches with fish and cabbage slaw.