- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lb. chicken andouille sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, white portion only, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 1 cup water, warmed
- 2 cups cooked white beans, drained
- 4 oz. Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut
into 1⁄2-inch strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for
- Garlic crostini for garnish (optional)
In a soup pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and let cool, then cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
In the same pot over medium-low heat, cook the onion, celery, carrot and leek, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more. Add the reduced wine, the stock and water, increase the heat to medium-high and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the sausage, white beans and chard and cook until the chard wilts, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, and garnish with the cheese and crostini. Serve immediately.